The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Joy in racing

This weekend marks the beginning of the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference season. In light of that, and in light of the fact that I am also racing in just a few weeks, I am dedicating this post on March 1st, 2012 to remembering my very first racing experience at UVM.

My training then was in Vermont. I did a couple of weeks there this year, but am now spoiled in California (not denying that I did a lot of work to earn this privilege).





We were a band of brothers on the UVM Cycling Team.

My first race was at Rutgers University in New Jersey. We left Vermont at 3:30pm and arrived late. Bedtime wasn't until midnight at the earliest. We stayed in the "finished" basement of a dormitory that was used as a common room. I hope you can agree that most dorms are a total maze at first walk-through. I remember paying particular attention to directions in this location because I felt a bit more uncomfortable than usual in this different place. There was spraypaint everywhere, first-off, with a dark background that gave the halls a very dreary and surreal look. It was a co-ed dorm with shared bathrooms as well - something different, not to mention that it had a vague affiliation with LGBT and was called the "art wing" of the dorm or campus or something not completely understood. I found it was better not to uncover the facts for this entry as this is how it was upon the real experience and thus how it ought to stay for your full appreciation. This was housing provided by the Rutgers Cycling Club and we were forever grateful. I have no photos to document my description. Only words.

I do, however have a few photos of this weekend's racing. Thank you, Facebook.

Everyone awoke at 4:30am. The "D" category racers had a time trial that started at a ridiculous hour. We had to load up and get all the vans + trailer to the TT course.

My Rutgers 2006 Results/Photography
Saturday AM 4km TT: 6th (lacking photos)

I distinctly remember warming up on the trainer. It was 35F. It was decided that legwarmers were not an option for the Crit. I would decide against that now, but baby oil sufficed that afternoon.



Saturday PM Criterium: 6th


Daniel Cassidy, a graduate student at the time led the field on several occasions. The Cassitron Legend lives on.


Sara Uhl, an Olympian on the track would race the Men's A races with us. We were proud to have her in the group. She's actually a UVM alum, only wearing Penn-State colors here as she finished graduate school.


The sprint to the finish against a McGill rider, somewhat larger than I.

Sunday Circuit Race: 4th



http://ecccblogs.blogspot.com/

Following these races, we drove to Banner Elk, North Carolina for a week of training during the Collegiate Spring Break. There must've been at least a dozen of us that made this trip. I cannot provide photos of this because there was too much debauchery and rule-breaking that happened. It was, however, impressively memorable and yet another moment of fun around the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment