The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Ridin' Ain't On The Rodeo Circuit Out Here

Blogger hasn't been doing me well over the last month! I've been riding locally in Burlington since the Tour of Qinghai Lake in China (last post was on the way there). It might be time for my own URL, no? Should I get a poll on that? Let me see what I can do, here. Meanwhile, read on.

I'm in Santa Fe for the second time in just over 7 months. My aunt Melanie Dugan lives here in a great adobe style single-level house outside of the city. As much as I love to see Melanie, part of the draw to visit her before racing Tour of Utah and the USA Pro Cycling Challenge (in Colorado) was the elevation. I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone by spending a week out here before racing two of the hardest stage races in the US in a dry climate at significant elevation. Santa Fe sits at 7,000 ft and Melanie is up the hill from there, so I'd say this is perfect! There's a beautiful 25k road not far away that goes up to the Santa Fe Ski Basin, reaching 10,350 ft that I first explored on Christmas Day this past winter. I had an unfortunate experience laying it out on black ice on that brisk morning, but the summers are gorgeous up there - it gets nice and cool as you work your way up.

Tour of Utah starts August 9th and finishes on the 14th. The USA Pro Cycling Challenge is soon after from the 22-28th. After that, I get to go back to New England for a respite before another CCA (Chinese Cultural Adventure) at Tour of China in mid-September.

Today is my last ride in Santa Fe. Tomorrow I'll leave for Salt Lake City to regroup with Team Type 1 before the show begins. Tour of Utah was actually my first race with Team Type 1 in 2009. I had a great time and suffered a whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment