The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Post Stage 1

The blogger app on my phone is a bit touch and go right now, so I appreciate your patience. I am having trouble updating photos and especially videos. We are currently in the team bus driving to the hotel in Northstar, CA, just on the north side of Lake T. I refuse to type the word to which T belongs anymore. I feel like a NY yuppie just saying it. SO, It's slightly less than a blizzard out there, and though the peleton got kitted and lined up on the start line, the consensus was made that it was far too dangerous to ride even a third of the stage today. The roads are icy and the visibility is low. It sure would make for an epic training day, and reminds me of the riding I would do while I was at UVM. I've ridden through worse, but racing in it is a different story. If I can edit this and add photos, I will do so, ASAP.

On another note, one of my posts that was rejected because of the videos attached to it included the research that which Dr. Frias had asked TT1 to participate. 5 riders including me have attached glucose sensors to our bodies. They insert subcutaneously into interstitial tissue. Some have them on their stomachs and I have mine on my lower back, right next to that tattoo of a butterfly and two chinese characters symbolizing regret and immaturity that I got on my 18th birthday. I wrestled with the sensor all day yesterday and had to install 2 new ones to get comfortable. The sensor transmits Wirelessly to a monitor about the size of a flip-phone. I will carry it in my pocket and keep it within 5 feet of my body at all times through the week. The research will focus on the differences in blood sugar levels between riders with and without diabetes throughout the week of racing at a world class level. As a non-diabetic my levels are relatively stable, thanks to a healthy pancreaspancreas, but I still see variability occasionally. The research also has an added element and will record data riders' performance using SRM powermeters (the participants got them installed yesterday, wohoo), and it will be used to see if there is a correlation between blood glucose levels at all levels and performance measured in wattage output. Later, Dr. Frias hopes to send the participants to San Diego for a physiological screening including VOmax testing and a common ramp test which shows, among other things,at what power levels an individual transitions into different levels of exertion (endurance, lactic threshold, etc...)

I will keep info and my own educated findings on how my sugar fluctuates coming in. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment