The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Noerse Koerse

Tomorrow is the first race. I'm getting adjusted slowly (woke up at 4:30 this morning, but that's better than 3:30). It's a beautiful afternoon here and I found my way onto the roof of our hotel, which has about 25 rooms in the center of a small town called Oostkamp, just outside of Brugge. I ate too many croissants this morning. But, nay, I don't think it's possible to eat too many, so I take that back. When I was about ten to twelve years younger, I remember going to Landsdown Resort with my cousin for 5 days. It was a 4 star resort hotel complete with a golf course, squash courts and swimming pool that his father, my uncle, Gerard used to manage. We watched 'Payback' and 'The Siege,' two movies that kicked ass and cost $6.99 (bill it to the room, please). Did I mention they had fine dining? I would hit breakfast there like Guidos hit the gym. I remember my Aunt Mary Coale commenting on the number of croissants I had taken to supplement the rest of my feast. I believe there were about 5 or 6 in me by that time. Anyway, I didn't regret a single bite. I simply wished my stomach would digest without delay so that I could stuff a few more buttery treats in me before I had to go back to Northampton, Massachusetts.

Anyway, I told my team after they were scoping out what everyone ate for lunch today. I told them that I had no intention of coming to Belgium to get skinny. My intention was to do these races and prepare for S. Korea while enjoying the fruits of this culture with wild indulgence in order to make sure I get my rightful dosage of beer, frites and waffles to make up for the year and a half that's passed since my last Belgian escapade. And hell, I'll have one for each of you, too.

I arrived on the 14th at 6:35AM. The van came to pick me up at 10:30AM. When I got to the hotel after a 1:5hr drive, I took a nap while everyone rode and had lunch. I slept too long and it ruined last night's sleep, but I awoke refreshed after 3hrs, completely under. So, up at 4:30AM I was, rode for a few hrs to regain some consistency in my legs since I need that. Tomorrow will hurt, but I am ready to suffer. I had a brief 30 minute rest after lunch and I expect to get at least a straight 7 hrs tonight, uninterrupted. Ok sheen, that's my story on getting used to a 9hr time change in 1.5 days. Kill them all.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. Yes, by all means have a few croissants and pain au chocolat for me! Keep the posts coming... and send me a darned postcard!

    ReplyDelete