The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Windy Stage 3

It was nice and tranquil averaging 38k/hr for the first 2+hrs. There were elephants, and some riders saw Zebras and Giraffes, though I missed these spectacles. Then we turned and HIT IT 60k from the finish. Everyone was in an echelon from the left to the right and from the front group, I was caught too far on the right, in the gutter. One guy couldn't hold the wheel and that was it for me! Off the back I went. And the second group was large and another 100m behind. I swung around for a while, flailing like a helpless baby in some brutal wind and then accepted defeat. The next 50k were a fight even in the next group, but I got into the rotation, which was much easier than fighting for a wheel (though there were still plenty of elbows thrown). Then Scott and I flatted. We ended up in the gutter for a split second and mashed a piece of sharp, metal debris. Luckily I managed to get back on after a hard effort.

For those who don't know what an echelon is - here's a photo below. It is a formation that occurs because a strong wind comes from an angle. The guys on the diagonal in front have it a lot easier than the poor saps fighting in a line, pinned in the gutter.

Anyway, I haven't seen results yet. I contested the "bunch kick" for something like 10th place and I don't know where I ended up. I threw the bike on the line with 5 other guys and it looked too close to call right away.

Today was frustrating, I was there, and then I wasn't. The wind is tough for everyone, but it's really hard to fight for a wheel when you're a little guy. Last year, I was worse in the wind, though, so at least I'm improving...

Also, writing these after the stage gives an immediate update, but all of this comes in from a delusional stream of consciousness. I don't proofread this stuff, and all I really want is a nap (but, I'm holding off to make sure I stick on this whole new time-zone thing). Sitting in bed will just have to suffice. The TV is on. Fabio wants his computer back, and Mythbusters is on (wish I could do without the annoying geek banter right now...really want to punch everyone on the show in the balls...don't even know what the hell they're testing anyway...).

Until tomorrow: there will be a bunch of punchy climbs and it'll be hard. We have a 2 hr drive to the start, and another hour to the hotel in Cape Town after the Stage. Each stage starts at 10:00am. We'll be leaving at 6:45am tomorrow. Wahoo. Great planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment