The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Final Day

It was another hot day out there. 105km finished in under 2.5hrs. An early break went that was soon brought back by MTN and Nippoli, two teams without representation, eager for the sprint. By the final circuit, 11k, we had Martijn, Scott, Fabio, Alexei and me all together in the front. The run in to the sprint was fast and chaotic. We were doing 70k/hr down hill and onto the flats with a bend to the left and a quarter of a turn on a roundabout - remember, in South Africa, we drive on the left side of the road, so we go left on the roundabouts - and that left us at 300m to go. I was floundering in the wind on the left side after the whipping downhill and Scott was with Martijn in the last turn. Then the sprint for the win and....Martijn SECOND. Not bad for an uphill sprint! Great job Martijn. I'm glad we brought home a podium result from this race. I'm still waiting to see the GC results and hoping there wasn't a gap between me and the 30 in front of me in that quick kick to the finish.

I have a few stories to offer from this trip but I have to get a few things straightened out for the trip home (CA).

Spring Schedule
I'll be going to Santa Barbara until the 13th, traveling to Brussels for 2 races on March 16 (Nokere Koerse) and 18 (Handzame Classic) and staying until the 27th because I'm on reserve for the E3 prijs Harelbeke, another Classic in BEL. Santa Barbara will welcome me from the raw Belgium weather where I can train for either the Tour of South Korea or the Tour of Mexico in April. Man, I'll be missing home after all of that! Oh, and no Battenkill for me this year, SHAM! Sorry Deiter Drake and East Coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment