The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pre-San Dimas Stage Race

It's the night before the prologue, a 3.7mi uphill individual time trial. My start time is 5:09:30 PM.

Ken and I drove from Santa Barbara down to the start at the base of Glendora Mountain to pre-ride the course. It honestly looks fairly suitable to my style of riding. It's a false flat for the first kilometer and then it kicks up ranging from 4-8% for the next 3 miles. The hill has no brutally steep sections and with the right wind, there will be some very fast times. After some thought, I've opted for 50mm deep section Shimano Dura Ace
wheels on my road bike to use for the race tomorrow. No shallow rims, but no disc, either. If I can get my hands on a time trial helmet, I'll wear that as well. The team doesn't have skinsuits ready yet, unfortunately, so if I don't win, I have my excuse ready. Craig (left) is riding the new DA C50 in the front and a C75 rear.

After the pre-ride we jumped back into the car for another hour or so with some music by the Killers. The management and mechanics are staying at a Holiday Inn Express, so that's where I handed off my bike, got the wheels mounted as well as a computer so I know how fast I ride tomorrow. Last year's winning time by Chris Baldwin averaged 29 kph. That's about 18mph, for you knuckleheads who can't convert yet. After this blog post, you'll be able to convert because 1mi is about 0.6km. So, I'll just stare at my average speed and make sure it's as close as I can make it to last year's. The conditions (wind direction and speed) as well as temperature, etc... will create some differences, but it's something to aim for.

I'm trying to stay focused. I don't feel slow, and I hope that I go really fast. I feel there is some level of expectation for me to pop a great race because I am small and should be able to race uphill really fast. But that kind of disregards details. Anyway, I'm going to do whatever I'm going to do and that's about as much as I can do.

A friend of mine once said something along the lines of, "You can only control the controllable." This is a great mentality for competition preparation that I like to think about. Ride well and rest better. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! It goes fast, but you bust your balls the whole way up. Just ride hard (as opposed to not hard.) Don't you love waiting around all day for a short effort up a hill?

    ReplyDelete