The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A New Face

I decided it might be time to make the blog more personable. Does this help? You can help by answering the poll question.

Yesterday I spent an hour on a motorcycle and it was a little too fast for me. I might stick to 4 wheeled motorized vehicles for a little while - at least on the highway. That's all I have to say about that.

My recent interest is Soapmaking. Should I be telling you all of this? It's really something that I'd like to keep within the circle of William Himself alone. I need to make money somehow, right? But in all seriousness, your life is in grave danger if you begin to make soap to upstage my newfound talent. I simply won't tolerate competition of any sort. I'm good friends with Pucci and his extended family who happens to owe me countless favors and will be happy
to whack you for me.

That's right, I'm a homebody. I made bread tonight. I am looking into the soap industry,
and I'm a changed man. Oh I still ride a little bit, yes, but my mind
gets restless and I have to occupy it somehow. What a better way to occupy my time than to explore profitable hobbies like the chemistry of soap making. Would you like to see the mechanism for the reaction? Let's see if I can get it on here for you. Voila. To your right is a beautiful mechanism for saponification. The Hydroxyl (OH-) group comes from Lye (aka Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH). The target reaction in soap actually comes from mixing Lye with Triglycerides (your own combination of heated oils - vegetable oils are better for the skin).

Be careful with the Lye, though, and don't follow the scene in "Fight Club" by neutralizing your burn wound with vinegar. The base and acid mixture actually produces a really hot reaction, so it's best to rinse with water and then add a little vinegar just after you rinse well.

I'm really debating starting this experimentation before or after I head back east. I'll have to make some purchases that I'll have to end up traveling with - that's the problem with moving around, I hear: you have to bring all your belongings with you, and the more you have, the harder it is to move. Maybe that's how I'll know exactly where my final home will be. I'll eventually have too much stuff to move and there I'll be. Happy as a clam amidst all of my stuff, tying me down...

My races last weekend were solid. I raced in Merced, CA and worked out the early season kinks of peleton navigation and bike handling in 150 deep fields. The criterium left me with a 20th and the 120mi road race a 17th. It's impressive how fast the Californians are at this time of the season. They're real rippers. Well good for them. Let's see how they go in July. As for this weekend, I am calling it off because the logistics were too complicated. Mais pas grave. There will be plenty of racing. San Dimas is just around the corner.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should talk to these guys about making money: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/03/news/team-type-1’s-money-team-—-racking-up-podiums_107586

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poll question only has one answer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would still prefer to race bikes than doing org reaction for money.

    ReplyDelete