The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Past, Go West Young Man, and Future

Life’s a breeze, but it’s also a slogging misery for others. Each individual carries his own baggage on his lifeboat. Literally, my belongings characterize my past. I’m bringing Gandalf, the white Time frame I rode since I joined CCB in 2007, compliments of Steve P himself. I got my t-shirts from Richard and races I’ve entered. I bought one with Olivia this fall with a matching pair of slacks. I have an electric razor that Jesse Spector gave to me in honor of Hanukah (received in honor of Christmas). I have a photo of me and my sister Paige after the finish of the 2008 Legacy Banks Pittsfield Criterium that she gave to me as my Christmas present last night– cropped and framed. That alone has it’s story: It was the first race that Dad brought Paige and younger son Edward to see. Magically I soloed away from the field for the last half of the race and took the win by a thick margin. That was a proud day in front of my hometown friends and family and I get to take that with me.

I leave behind Mother Louisa, my guardian Joe, Steve, Richard, Amos, The Spector Family, Father Edward, Friends, and the one closest to me now, Olivia. I’m a fairly practiced vagabond: I declared home haphazardly throughout various locations of New England since May 2009, but still, splitting ain’t easy. My new home will be at Diana Palmer’s abode.

Going to California in my mind. Those weren’t the exact words spat and spittered by that old hack James T but it’s my song today. I’m going to learn about this whole racing gig and find out if it’s really for me or if I’m for it. Better yet, I’m going to be able to use what I’m learning to help the 3 tykes I’m coaching from the University of Vermont. I’ll mold them into the most aggressive little bastards that ever mounted a 2 wheeler, and if they don’t turn into just that, well… it’s their fault.

The people I’ll meet. Well, who knows who they are? Who knows. I’d really like to get my hands on Who and give her a kick in the ass for messing with everyone for all these years. Who is a girl, no man could keep that up for so long.


I’ll bring my past with hopes of a bright future and worthy application. I’m truly grateful for this experience. I know that I’ve worked hard for it and I really think I deserve it. It’s not taken for granted. I want this trip and my experience this year to help make me who I am. Most of all I want to be an understanding, kind and gracious human being, one who is appreciative and enjoys the days as they come. With that I’ll leave you with a few words from Einstein that go something like this:

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle.

I think that we’d all have a heck of a lot more fun if everything were a damn miracle.

2 comments:

  1. come home soon atmo we miss you already.

    xxoo -

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly man, attitudes make miracles happen.

    ReplyDelete