The 2012 Kit

The 2012 Kit

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Jersey Shore

I had a peaceful day off today and I'm looking forward to a massage this evening. First, downtown called my name and I found Jitters, a nice nook for coffee and the internet on State Street. I bought a chocolate croissant (pain au chocolat) and a poppy seed muffin for Dave and company at FastTrack, one of the go-to shops in Santa Barbara.

Dave helped me with a front derailleur after the airlines mashed up my other one. He gave me a Campy Record one to complete my Trifecta of bike components (SRAM, Shiman and now Campy). History: Dave used to wrench for Lance. The shop is great and you can see them on group rides over weekends. The website is awesome and there are some great cycling videos that you should explore including Lance commercials, a fat man pretending to be Jan Ullrich prepping for the Tour, and some actual Tour de France footage.


I'm culling some information on MTV's new show JERSEY SHORE, the feature of this post. Below is a brief introducion followed by a discussion of the show's controversy.

What we're dealing with:

Girls like 'Snookie' whose "Ultimate dream is to move to Jersey and find a nice, juiced, hot, tanned guy." and Guys like DJ Pauly D who want "'Guidettes to cream their pants when they hear his music' and by 'his music' he means of course, music written, performed, and recorded by other people."

Unfamiliar with some terms? Urbandictionary solves the problem if you need these links for help. Guido, Guidette, or Juicehead which means "Someone who uses steroids in order to aid in the production of muscle mass. Ex. Mark McGuire is a juicehead." This I found particularly hilarious.

Chris Worden, a past roommate of mine at the University of Vermont contributed the following:

What do I think of when I watch MTV's "Jersey Shore?" It's hard to wrap my non-guido Canadian raised brain around, but then again so is calculous." Pause for a moment. Was it pun or purpose that Chris spelled Calculus incorrectly? I never asked and gave him the benefit of the doubt... "It's a carnival of spectacle, a tilt-a-wheel of spray on tan, wife-beaters, hair gel, bad accents, and muscle. A show literally so offensive and unbelievable compared to modern everyday mainstream society that one can barely look away. That is not to say it isn't entertaining. It's damn entertaining, as long as one is removed enough from the reality that people lead very similar lives to the characters of the show. It's a bit how I imagine watching Jonathon Chodroff race cyclocross; you know you shouldn't laugh, but you do, and you're fascinated by the degree of failure witnessed.
What makes the show so entertaining? The characters. One remarkable young lad nicknamed himself "The Situation." Another is named "Snookie," yet all the other characters refer to her as "snickers" behind her back, an implied jab at her weight. The characters fight over girls and beer. They fight strangers in bars, police, and guests in their beach house. The girls fight other girls, the guys fight other guys, the girls fight the guys. The show has left my generation with prominate quotes engrained in our culture, such as:

"I left the club early because I didn't want to cheat on my boyfriend. And I felt like eating ham and drinking water."

"That's what you get from putting a fat girl's ass in your face. That's how you get pink eye."

"I don't give a f**k if you'e fat, you're ugly, you're 45 years old. I'll dance with ya. I think it's hilarious."

The Jersey Shore is valuable from a distanced perspective in that it provides comentary on current day society. People like the characters in The Jersey Shore actually do exist. And they take themselves seriously. There is that degree of diversity in America...everyone from the shy 20 year old who has never kissed a girl in VT to Mike "The Situation" in "Joisy." It's the same reason any "Real Housewives of NY/CA/NJ" etc is amusing, not because these are ordinary people placed in outlandish stiuations, but because these are outlandish people placed in even more outlandish microcosms of our own society.

And I live 30 minutes away. F."

Thanks Chris.

Anthony C. says "I, like many others, DO find this show offensive. I have family members who live in both North Jersey and South Jersey, and also other areas of the country, and can confidently say that this show does not accurately depict any aspect of what we are."

Yes it does. Yes it does!!!!!

I wonder why Anthony C. thinks this. "
Weaponzero posted 'Personally I think everyone on the show, if this is who they really are, are all the bottom feeders of life. They're the type of people who give the entire human race a bad name, and every time I see it, I think about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Nobody could possibly be that skanky/slutty/self-centered/fake/stupid/idiotic/etc.'"

Some people share the opinion that the show is unentertaining and find it nonsensical: "I've watched a few minutes of it here and there. but for everything I've heard, it's stupid and a waste of time so I don't bother sitting through an entire episode."

A dear friend of mine, Alex Cox, said "I've watched every episode - pretty much the most entertaining thing to watch on TV that requires the least amount of brainpower to understand." Really? "It splits a fine line between the less refined people wanting to emulate that lifestyle and the more sophisticated people trying to understand it. That's why it's so popular...universal appeal. I find myself laughing at it just because there is absolutely no logic or explanation to some of the things that are said or done on the show."

Let's just hope that the religious follwers of the show are mostly those sophisticated folk laughing at the unusual and caught up in giving attention to irregularity in our culture.

Keep them guidos on The Shore, and please, Don't Jersey Vermont!

Thank You for reading.

Another controversy has come to light! Not only the one discussed in my latest blog post, but one regarding the post itself! This survey will help me understand what my readers think and expect of my blog so that I can better serve the purpose of entertaining my followers.

Please only vote once. Thanks so much for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment